The February workshop topic is color. We will discuss the principals of color and how to chose a color palette for a quilt. We will use our new knowledge of color to work on a quilt block. This will be a round-table, hands-on discussion, so be prepared to join in and share your techniques for choosing colors with us!
The February quilt block is the Hack Slash star block from Amy at badskirt. Her website includes information on making a 9" block. Lauren was kind enough to work out the math for a 6" or 12" block.
- For a 12" block, you'll need:
Background fabric -3.5 x 3.5 #47.25 x 7.25 #1Color 1 fabric-3.875 x 3.875 #46.5 x 1.5 #24.5 x 1.5 #24.5 x 4.5 #1Color 2 fabric-3.875 x 3.875 #1
- For a 6" block, you'll need:
Background fabric -2 x 2 #44.25 x 4.25 #1Color 1 fabric-2.375 x 2.375 #43.5 x 1 #22.5 x 1 #22.5 x 2.5 #1Color 2 fabric-2.375 x 2.375 #1
What to bring:
- Color tools (color wheels, swatches, paint chips, etc)
- A selection of fabrics for testing out color palettes and fabric for the block
- Sewing machine
- Extension cord
- Other sewing supplies as needed (we need at least a few irons/ironing surfaces)
- Lucky Spool's Essential Guide to Modern Quilt Making book
Don't forget - if you want to participate in the Fat Quarter Club, bring your $12 payment for the March bundle!