Selecting your fabrics:
Having trouble deciding on what fabrics to choose? Here are some ideas help you select your fabrics & perhaps lead you to a fabric combination that is different than your 'norm'!
- Select a palette of two colors you don't feel 'go together'; the combination may surprise you!What color makes you happy? Work with that color and choose a range of value within a monochromatic scheme
- Create a palette celebrating an upcoming season.... Maybe the warm rich tones of Fall, cool icy tones of Winter ...just think, this could be a perfect gift!
- Challenge yourself to work with a color scheme you have never tried
- Choose your favorite color scheme but shift the intensity (for example, instead of bright orange try coral, from grey blue go to indigo or bright blue, from sage green try chartreuse). From here, choose compliments to create a fresh color grouping
- Challenge yourself to work in all solids or all prints
- Choose colors that are close to each other on a color wheel.... Add a bit of a strong contrast as an accent and use minimally as you piece your strips
For those that want to dive into their improv piecing right away, I suggest cutting your fabrics prior to the meeting. Cut strips 6"-8" long by a range of widths (approx. 1-1/4" - 3" wide); cut strips a random angles (see photo)
Remember, this is a liberating process...there is now exact rule to the technique & you can't do it wrong! It is your aesthetic, your feelings, your intuition, your process! We will all create very differrent, equally vibrant pieces!!
Looking forward to seeing you!
PS - Don't forget to check out our last post with the supply list for the class!